Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2007: A Year in Review

January 2007: I celebrated New Year's with my family and was asleep by 12:30. I made New Year's resolutions that I ultimately broke within two weeks.

February: I turned 21 and celebrated with my mom, Bill, and the sister. Then, I went to an LST meeting. One good thing: it snowed. I went home and watched movies by myself. It was at that time that I realized that I will be single the rest of my life.

March: I was doing what all good students do and was procrastinating. While procrastinating I turned on the TV and found a little show called The Office and was forever hooked.

For Spring Break I went to Houston to spend time with my grandparents and cousin Lemondrop. It was an amazing time. We went to an art museum, watched 300 and ate Sour Patch kids and Popcorn, ate Mexican food, and sang at the top of our lungs while not getting lost in downtown Houston. You know, the usual. It was a great time. Towards the end of March, the last day of Spring Break, I got into a wreck and totaled my car. It was completely my fault and was carless for months.

Next, I passed out in Dr. Kraft's Art class (in the discussion of Warhol and Pop Art) and spent three days there. I had test after test run on me where I was first diagnosed with pancreatitis. Next, it was something with a long name ending in -itis. Finally, it was found that I had a cyst on my ovary that caused me to pass out. I passed out again while at the hospital and was diagnosed with Neurocardipathic Syncope. So basically if I get too hot, don't get enough to eat or other things I can just pass right out. Now I am supposed to eat breakfast every morning and wear these old grandmother socks that keep the circulation flowing in my legs every night. I now do not eat breakfast and have lost the socks.

April: March was a bad month, but April was even worse for my dad. Dad found out Kim was having an affair and filed for divorce. Dad and Hannah moved into a trailer and stayed there until she graduated. As soon as she graduated Dad moved to Lamesa and hated his new job. I took Bree and Mike with me to Anton to celebrate Easter and had a pretty great time. I was procrastinating again and found a little show called Friday Night Lights and it too was phenomenal.

May: Hannah turned 18 on the 3rd and graduated on the 25th. Three days later I left for Japan. I wished my brother a happy 20th un-birthday and Caitlin called and we laughed for a bit. It was great, yet terribly sad.

June: I spent the entire month in Japan and it was an amazing experience. Going back the second time was like coming home. I saw people I knew, recognized buildings, and just re-fell in love with the culture. I had the best time in my life there and dream of one day returning. The Lord's work is hard work, but it is truly rewarding and memorable. To the people in Japan: I enjoyed every single day there and miss you all desperately. Just know that one day I will return and see you all again. While in Japan I mourned my brother's, and un-celebrated the two year anniversary of his death.

July: I left Japan on the 9th and that was probably the saddest day of my life. I remember standing there at the bus stop, blinking back tears as I hugged every person who came to see us off. The cool morning air swept over me in a heap of emotion and as soon as I took my seat on that bus, the tears fell. I read all the notes and sweet letters and they fell harder. Who knew that I could fall in love with those wonderful people and that amazing country after only six weeks. I left a piece of my heart in Japan and I will return one day to retrieve it.

Lived with Libby and Dennis for a while while Bree and I looked for an apartment. Found a great one and moved in.

August: Got completely moved in and found that I could not really afford my own place. Started back to school and saw all my old friends, and made new ones. Complained about professors and spoke of new crushes. Started life planning and began to worry about the future.

September: Dropped Anatomy and Physiology because I realized I did not need it. Skipped a lot of classes. Oops.

October: Got a second job to cover the expense of the apartment. I now come home with baby formula and dog hair all over me. I work forty hours a week and go to school full-time. I also made the decision not to go back to Japan this summer, and that was one of the hardest decisions of my life. Dressed as a nerd for Halloween and passed out candy with Melanie at the mall and went to Lindsey's party. Met some cool new people!

November: Found out I can definitely graduate in December of 2008 and was amazingly relieved. That puts me at a little over four years. Since I changed my major six times, I am pleasantly surprised. Hannah and I made the ten hour trek to Houston for Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. We ate Nanna's newest creation: a Pumpkin Cream Cheese pie. Amazing! Hung out with Lemondrop for a bit until we left a day early due to the weather.

December: What a great month so far! We had a wonderful graduation party for Carla at my apartment and then I went to a Christmas party at Lindsey's. Had a work party at job number one, and was blessed by gifts at the church. What amazing people the Lord has blessed me with. As a result of late night studying (playing around on the computer) I am now addicted to coffee, thanks in whole to the lovely roommate. There was a huge confrontation in chapel and an incident in which an idiot radio announcer took something out of context and there was a huge controversy on campus. Also, Dr. Byars's office is so messy that he lost our tests, but finally found them. What's the deal with a grade of "B?"

So, this year has been one of growth. I have learned to treasure friendships and become more bold in asking for things that matter to me. I have learned to stand up for myself and say the right things, when they needed to be said, and I learned to be silent when needed. I was able to mourn over loss and rejoice in Him again. I learned to always be postive, no matter the situation. I learned to expect a package from grandmother filled with homemade cookies and also full of tea bags, marshmallows, and socks. I love my grandmother, obviously. I have learned that gossip hurts people, and the truth is always the right way to go, no matter what. I have learned to keep an open mind and resist temptation. I am now stronger than I ever thought I would be!
Currently watching : The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Widescreen Edition)Release date: By 13 September, 2005

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you purchase a movie or watch a movie at home, do you prefer widescreen or fullscreen?

Anonymous said...

actually sister i graduated on the 24th, just a fyi. i expect a re-print.